The long and storied history of the Cheese Grater began with its invention in the mid-16th-century by Frenchman François Boullier. In fact, on original Boullier cheese grater is on display at the Muséum du Havre in France. The grater in part led to a significant increase in the production of cheese at that time in history, when methods of preserving meat were poor and disease from rancid meat were widespread. Consumers of the day turned to hard cheeses which had significant shelf lives, and the cheese grater made it easy to add a portion to a block or wheel of cheese to any dish.
Today, the Cheese Grater exists in various forms, and is a common and necessary implement in the kitchen of every home cook, especially for those who are turophiles, and find the addition of cheese to most every dish a virtual requirement.
See many styles and shapes of Cheese Graters from a host of top manufacturers.
Acacia Cheese Grater and Shredder
Highlighting the Acacia Cheese Grater from Enrico is an integrated foot and arched stainless steel cutting surface that means no more chasing a grater and plate around on the counter. Features of this Italian-inspired cheese grater include:
- Created from beautiful, renewable Malaysian Acacia, with light and dark contrasting grain that brings each piece to life
- Foot stop feature for stabilizing grater against edge of counter or table
- Removable drawer for dispensing grated cheese and ease of cleaning
- Hand crafted finger joint construction
- Includes 2 arched stainless steel blades, one for soft cheese, one for hard cheese
Norpro 4-Sided Grater with Catcher
This 18/10 stainless steel grater from Norpro, has fine, medium, and coarse grating surfaces and a slicing surface.
- Grater can hold 10 cups/80 ounces and catcher can hold 3 cups/24 ounces
- Soft and comfortable santoprene rubber handle helps prevent hand fatigue and cramping
- Catcher has lid for convenient storage
- Non-slip rubber base
- Dishwasher safe
OXO Seal and Store
Rotary Cheese Grater
Grate cheese directly onto pasta, salad, or other dishes, or keep grated cheese in the chamber for later use, with the OXO Seal and Store Rotary Cheese Grater.
- A llayer of silicone seals the cheese grater in the closed position and an additional cap on the barrel compartment ensures a complete seal so your cheese will not dry out
- Grate with the cap on to collect cheese before serving, or remove the cap and grate directly into your dish
- Soft, comfortable rotating knob
- Non-slip handle
- Also works great with chocolate or nuts
- Dishwasher safe